Skip to main content

Congress Hall

The original Congress Hall was constructed by Gideon Putnam in 1812.
The hotel grew to be one of the three largest hotels in the village. The hotel was razed in 1911-12 and is now part of Congress Park and the Spirit of Life Memorial.

Canfield Casino Parlor

This gaming parlor was added to the Canfield Casino in 1871 and was the main site for gambling at the Casino. The High Stakes Room was on the second floor but was restricted to only a few very wealthy gamblers because of the stakes.

Afternoon Tea 1905

This image shows the Victor Herbert Orchestra playing for afternoon tea at the Grand Union Hotel. Victor Herbert was the music director at the Grand Union Hotel for a number of summers.